For many people the internet is a lifesaver allowing them to expand their knowledge and their opportunities. People who work hard all day and do not have the time or the resources to attend university classes are now discovering the joys of online learning. These options are highly attractive and there are several options open to those people who wish to get an LPN job.
LPN training online, however, is something that you do need to be quite careful about. There is no way to earn an online qualification as an LPN without first doing the necessary practical work, so no matter what your time constraints are you are going to need to find the time to do the clinical practical. Keep this in mind when looking at the various online LPN training options and make sure that you are making the best choice possible for you.
The Advantages of LPN Training Online
There are several advantages to online LPN training that are worth mentioning at this point.
- One of the first advantages that is worth noting is the fact that as an online student you will have complete control over your schedule. You will be able to slot in your study time whenever it suits you and you will not be tied down by classroom schedules. This makes LPN training online perfect for motivated and focused people who know that they have what it takes to complete a course with only their own motivation to get them through it. However, if you are someone who needs directions and guidance and who needs to be prompted to work then you may want to think carefully before doing your LPN training online.
- Another very important point to note is that online LPN training tends to be a whole lot cheaper than face-to-face classes. This is a fantastic advantage for people who are worried about both time and money constraints. As long as you are sure to do the clinical practical that are essential in order to qualify as an LPN, then you will find that you will not be compromising on quality simply because you are paying less. This is one of the more convincing advantages in favor of doing your LPN training online if possible.
- The flexibility that you will have with an online LPN training course is unbelievable. You will not have to worry about meeting deadlines and when it comes to doing assessments and tests you will be in control of when you will do them. You will not need to give up your current job and starve. Many people are prevented from studying further and improving their qualifications simply because they are unable to stop working in order to study. With online LPN training programs you will be able to better you opportunities without putting yourself at risk financially. It is not exactly easy to work and study at the same time, but many people who are highly successful today chose to take that route and are now very glad that they did. This course of action is not suited to everybody, but if you think you can handle it, then go for it!
- The nice thing about online LPN training is that you can do it anywhere where you have a computer or laptop and an internet connection. You will be able to experiment with different environments and find the one where you will be able to work the most effectively. Some people need the bustle of a coffee shop when studying while others prefer the peace of their own bedroom. Whatever your optimal studying environment, with online LPN training programs you will be able to study wherever you like.
The Disadvantages of Online LPN Training
You would be naive if you thought that there were no disadvantages to choosing to do your LPN training online. The more common disadvantages are listed below:
- No matter how advanced your video conferencing with your lecturer may be, it does not replace the student-teacher communication that you would receive in a face-to-face situation. This is one of the facts. Most people who do online LPN training don’t do it because they prefer the atmosphere but because they have no choice. The advantages to working face-to-face with a lecturer and having clear communication are many and it is suggested that you take this route instead of an online option if you are able to.
- One of the other advantages of face-to-face LPN training is that you will also have the chance to interact with other students. This classroom interaction is a very big part of the study experience. Apart from that it is also a great way to learn. Discussing your ideas and difficulties with other students who are studying the same thing as you are is essential in helping you to understand as well as remember what you are learning. Again, for this reason, if you have the option of attending a face-to-face LPN training program, then do so.
- In most cases you will only be able to communicate with your lecturer on a regular basis via email. This means that you may have to wait for quite a long time in order to get a response. This may interfere with your progress, especially if you are waiting for an answer to an important question before moving on with your studies.
Finding the Right Program
If you are thinking of doing your LPN training online then you need to remember that there are many schools out there that claim to offer this service, but that not all of them are a good bet. You absolutely have to make sure that the school that you eventually decide to go with is in fact state approved. There are different requirements in different states so make sure that the LPN training you decide to do is in fact relevant for the state that you would specifically like to work in. You will also have to pass the relevant examination once you have completed the qualification so it is important that the school that you decide to work through will adequately prepare you for this test. In order to find a list of accredited schools you should be able to ask your State Board of Nursing. They should be happy to provide you with the information you need. However, if you have trouble finding information in this way you also have the option of checking various directories for schools and then asking your State Board of Nursing whether or not the school meets their requirements.
The Practical Side
It is absolutely 100% impossible for you to do your LPN qualification entirely online. In order to qualify as an LPN you will have to do the required onsite training. This means that you need to be careful of anyone who offers LPN training online. Make sure that they have the necessary accreditation and that they don’t claim that you can do your qualification entirely online with them as this is simply not possible. Onsite training is essential for an LPN. LPN training programs are designed to fully equip you for working with patients as a career. You cannot possibly be fully prepared for everything that lies in store for you if you do not get a bit of practice in before you start working as an LPN. Some things just cannot be taught solely through theory. You have to actually experience the situation to fully understand.
It is clear that in this day and age technology and computers are becoming more and more essential in any job. This includes nursing. In fact most LPN training courses now include basic computer skills as it is extremely important that you know how to use a computer in order to execute your duties effectively. As a result there has been a marked increase in the popularity of online programs, although it must be stressed that it is impossible to get your qualification entirely online. There are some other things you have to also consider when looking for the perfect LPN training program online:
- Time: How much time are you able to devote to this LPN training program? Before you start looking for the perfect program for you, sit down and figure out how much time a week you are going to be able to spend working towards your online LPN qualification. Once you have a clear idea in your mind it will make it easier for you to choose the perfect program for you. Programs always specify how long they will take and how many hours you are required to spend on the work every day. This will make it easier for you to choose a program that fits in with whatever time constraints you have.
- Cost: Of course a very important thing that we always have to consider when choosing any training program is how much it costs. There are always budget constraints of some kind for people who are choosing to study online, so cost is clearly and important factor here. Make sure that you know ahead of your search how much money you have to spend on your LPN training, this is another way to narrow down the options in your search. Not all of the LPN training programs are going to fall within your price bracket and so you will be able to automatically ignore all of those that are way out. Remember that when it comes to price the most expensive school needn’t be the best one. They may merely be trading on a name. Don’t make your quality assessments based on price but rather on the experiences and success of LPNs who went through that training program. You can usually find reviews written by previous students somewhere online. At the same time of course don’t assume that a really cheap LPN training program is good value for money. Make your choice in this regard very carefully and don’t jump to conclusions based on superficial evidence.
- Prerequisites: Any course that you will take part in will require you to fulfill some sort of requirements or prerequisites before you can be accepted into a course. When it comes to LPN training you may find that the prerequisites differ slightly form course to course. There are some prerequisites that you simply may not fulfill, in which case you may want to consider an alternative route. However, knowing what the prerequisites are may make it a whole lot easier for you to make your decision in terms of what program you would like to do.
- Professor Availability: Just because you are studying online doesn’t mean that you will not receive support. In fact when it comes to LPN training online it is essential that you communicate with your professor on a regular basis and especially in situations where you are confused or uncertain about a certain aspect of the course work. Having a good idea of how accessible the professors at each of the programs you are considering are may go a long way to helping you make your decision about which LPN training program to take part in. It goes without saying that the more professor interaction a course offers, the higher up your priority list that course should appear.
As you can see there are a fair number of things that you should consider when deciding what kind of LPN training you want to do. Becoming an LPN is a great way to create a career for yourself and to create more opportunities. However, if you get it wrong at the LPN training stage then you may never become an LPN. On top of that you may waste your money on institutes that are not accredited or that do not properly prepare you. Deciding to study further is a very exciting decision to make, but it is also a very important decision that cannot be made lightly. You need to carefully consider all of the ramifications of your choice and make absolutely certain that the final decision that you make is in fact the best decision you could possibly have made. Take some time, do some research, and you will soon find the perfect LPN training program for you.