If you are interested in becoming a Licensed Practical Nurse, then one of the easiest ways to do so is to do an online LPN course such as the one offered at Dover Business College. Online LPN Programs are designed for the busy person who needs to either raise a family or continue working whilst studying to improve their education and job prospects.
The most vital thing about whichever institution you choose to study at is that it is accredited; if it is not you will not be able to sit for the NCLEX-PN examination, which means that you will not be able to obtain licensure and this will count against you when seeking employment.
When doing your research into which institution to attend, remember to also look at reviews posted by past students. These reviews will give you an inside track on the college, what the course is all about and whether graduates find employment easily after qualifying or not. Make sure that you read as many reviews as possible, as only two or three may give you a skewed insight.
This article serves to help you in your research by offering you some detailed and important information regarding the online LPN Programs at Dover Business College by putting all the pertinent information in one place. Do thorough research before deciding on which college is the best for your particular circumstances.
Dover Business College has been in the business of education for the past 53 years, and is a nationally accredited college. It has a proud history of successfully preparing students for professional careers and integrates general education, ethical practices, a career-focused education and professional competencies for a holistic teaching model.
Dover Business College prides itself on the welcoming environment that it has developed for its students, as the faculty believes that this type of welcoming and supportive environment is inducive to the achievement of great things for students of all backgrounds. Graduates of Dover Business College go on to become successful in their careers whilst living responsible and embracing lifelong learning.
Dover Business College strives to teach its students to develop critical thinking, communicate ideas effectively, achieve self-knowledge, distinguish among values and make relevant judgments, thereby equipping them with the ability to be able to function and adapt within a very diverse global environment.
Dover believes that its student-centered educational environment is supportive and best maximizes their ability to afford students the potential for achievement by offering constant accessibility to personal, academic, and career counseling.
Curricula and cocurricular activities are constantly reevaluated in order to provide a relevant and meaningful learning experience which will result in graduates being stimulated to continue a lifelong pattern of learning and personal and academic growth.
DBC also adapts to changing needs in the workplace and enhances the student experience by remaining current through its strategic alliances with corporate, community, and non-profit partners.
General Information: 1-866-GO DOVER (1-866-463-6837)
15 East Blackwell Street
Dover, NJ 07801
600 Getty Avenue
Clifton, NJ 07011
Hours Of Operation
The Admissions Office at Dover Business College is open:
Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm
Saturday from 9:00 am until 1:00 pm
Graduates of Dover Business College’s online LPN programs are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN licensure exam, the passing of which is required in order to become registered as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The college has a 94.7% NCLEX-PN first-time pass rate, according to the New Jersey State Board of Nursing.
The online LPN program offered by Dover Business College is designed to equip graduates to be able to work in various settings, including physicians’ offices, dental surgeons’ offices, nursing homes, home health care settings hospitals, assisted living facilities, rehabilitation centers, clinics, urgent care centers, and more.
The Online LPN Program includes a certain portion of clinical work in an actual clinical setting. You will learn how to start intravenous fluids, observe patients, and prepare patients; measure and record patients’ vital signs such as weight, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, height, and temperature. You will also be taught how to answer patients’ calls and determine how to assist them, provide basic patient care and treatments, administer prescribed medications, and sterilize equipment and supplies using sterilizer, germicides, or autoclave. You will work as an important member of a health care team, collect samples, and assemble and use various pieces of equipment.
The placement rate for the Practical Nurse program is 80%, according to calculations done in accordance with ACICS reporting guidelines.
A GED or graduation certificate from high school plus an entrance exam are the basic requirements for admission into this college. It is strongly recommended that you go for a personal interview.
Dover maintains a rolling admission policy, which means that you should apply as soon as possible in order to gain access to your chosen online LPN course. Applicants are notified by the Committee on Admission as to their status, once all credentials have been evaluated.
The great thing about online LPN programs is that you can study wherever and whenever it suits you to do so. There is a clinical portion of the course which is a hands-on training, and this can be completed in the on-campus nursing lab. This practical experience is very necessary in order to prepare you for clinical experience in the real world.
As with all online courses, you will need certain technological equipment in order to take part in the online LPN programs offered by Dover Business College. This includes access to a decent computer, ADSL or comparative Internet access, a fair amount of computer acumen, a current e-mail address, programs that can play online videos and a telephone.
Do not despair if you are not that great with all things technical though, as the college will provide you with all the information required to successfully study online.
Just because you are studying online does not mean that you will never have communication with your lecturers; Dover lecturers are responsible and attentive and always available to help you. You can contact them by telephone or e-mail, and you can also request face-to-face meetings should you so wish.
Apart from the usual admission requirements for High School, Transfer, and Adult students, Nursing applicants are required to:
- Complete an essay, take an entrance exam and undergo a personal interview
- Undergo a physical assessment by a licensed physician, advanced practice registered nurse, or physician assistant. This assessment must be submitted prior to enrolling in clinical courses
- Provide a thorough history of immunization and communicable diseases as per the requirements of affiliating agencies and New Jersey regulations
- Give written consent to the college to conduct a criminal history background check on you prior to registration
Contact the Director of Admissions at the campus of your choice to arrange for an appointment with an admissions counselor. You can also email the college at info@Dover.edu for further information or to arrange an interview.
Call 1-866-GO-DOVER (1-866-463-6837) today to make an appointment.
Plan Of Study
Unfortunately the Dover Business College website does not give information as to the curriculum of the Online LPN Program, but they do state what all you will learn, including:
You will be trained in various tools of the trade
- Needles – the different type of needles and their uses
- Nebulizers or accessories – different types of nebulizers and how to use them
- Patient care beds or accessories for specialty care – when and how to use these
- Patient stabilization or fall prevention devices or accessories – when, why and how
- Spirometers, accessories and supplies – various types and their uses
You will be taught how to use various types of software necessary to practice as a LPN:
- Medical software – EMR software, PDA medical software, Telephone triage software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office software
- Spreadsheet software
- Word processing software
- Calendar and scheduling software — scheduling software
You will be given the basic knowledge needed to perform your duties and functions as an LPN
- Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in production methods, resource allocation, human resources modeling, strategic planning, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources.
Biology — Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their cells, functions, tissues, interdependencies, and interactions with the environment and each other.
- Customer and Personal Service – principles and processes for providing personal and customer services
- English Language — Knowledge of the content and structure of the English language including rules of composition, the spelling and definition of words, and grammar.
- Education and Training — Knowledge of principles and methods for teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, curriculum and training design, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mathematics — Knowledge of algebra, calculus, arithmetic, geometry, statistics, and their applications.
- Medicine and Dentistry — Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, drug properties and interactions, treatment alternatives and preventive health-care measures.
- Psychology — Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in personality, ability, and interests; psychological research methods; learning and motivation; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling — Knowledge of methods, principles, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of mental and physical dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
Tuition is payable in advance and may be made by mail or in person. Payments are to be made to the Bursar, and you may make use of cash, checks, money orders, or credit cards. Tuition and fees are billed by the quarter, and it is your responsibility to obtain a quarterly bill from the Bursar.
Tuition and fees – $ 24 630
Books and supplies – $ 870
Testing fees for your first certification examination are included in the tuition.
Remember that although finances may be important to you, it is not wise to base your choice of school purely on the cost of the online LPN program. Not all schools that charge high tuition fees are the best, as you are sometimes just paying astronomical fees for the school’s reputation whilst that particular program may only be average. Some cheaper institutions, such as community colleges, may charge less because they receive state or federal funding yet may have some of the best programs.
Loans And Scholarships
Dover Business College affords you the opportunity to access various types of funding, including:
- Benefits for Veterans
- Federal Loans
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students
- Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan
- Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity
- Scholarships and Awards
In order to access any of the above you will need to complete and submit a free FAFSA form. This form can be submitted to the Dover Business College Financial Aid Office in person or it can be done online. Additional documentation to support your request for financial assistance, including signed copies of federal income tax returns may be requested of you by the Financial Aid Office.
All funding for this course, whether scholarships or loans must go through FAFSA, and students will need to apply every year for funding. Financial aid will be awarded based upon need.
Dover Business College aid is awarded by the Financial Aid Director, according to the institutional guidelines for each aid program.
There are also many employers who offer loans or a work program for their staff who seek to improve their knowledge by studying further, especially for accredited Online LPN Programs.
Dover Business College is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) to award diplomas. ACICS is a nationally recognized accrediting agency as per the United States Department of Education and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
Dover Business College campuses are also approved by the New Jersey Department of Education and the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development to operate as private vocational schools.
The Practical Nurse program is accredited by the New Jersey Board of Nursing.
If you have any queries regarding accreditation you can contact the relevant body:
Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools
750 First Street NE, Suite 980
Washington, DC 20002-4241
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
New Jersey Board of Nursing
124 Halsey Street
Newark, NJ 07120