There are a number of advantages to LPN travel jobs. Some of these advantages are listed below for your consideration. When looking for travel LPN jobs you will have to go through an agency. There are a number of agencies that offer LPN travel nurse jobs, but you need to make sure that you select the best agencies possible.
Criteria for Choosing the Best LPN Travel Jobs Agency
Here is a list of important things to keep in mind when looking for an agency through which to have your LPN travel jobs career.
- The dedication displayed by the recruiters
- The experience of the recruiters
- The quality of the customer service offered
- The quality of the facilities available
- The percentage of successful placements
- The salary you will paid
- The signing bonus amount (if there is one)
- The personalized nature of the assistance you will be giving
- The amount of assistance you will receive to help you relocate when necessary
- The reimbursement you will receive when you relocate to cover costs
- The state of the housing you will receive (e.g. is it furnished or not?)
- The timing an frequency of the pay check you will receive
- The Medical, Dental & Vision coverage offered by the agency
- The quality of the life insurance offered by the agency
- The quality of the malpractice insurance you will be eligible for
- The policies regarding time off and whether or not you will be paid
- The type and comprehensiveness of the benefits you will receive
- The likelihood of being given opportunities for receiving Continuing Education Credits through the agency
- The power you have over deciding what kind of shifts you would like to work
- The number of hours that you will be required to work every week
- The existence and amount of overtime pay you will be eligible for
- The likelihood of receiving discounts on products and services offered by the agency
- The protection you receive against client cancellations
LPN Travel Nurse Agencies
With the above points in mind, here are some of the travel nursing agencies that are well worth considering:
- American Traveler (to find out more call 800-884-8788)
- The Quest Group (to find out more call 866-818-8843)
- Travel Nurse Solutions (to find out more call 888-300-5132)
- InteliStaf Travel (to find out more call 800-676-8326)
- American Mobile Healthcare (to find out more call 800-282-0300)
- Premier Healthcare Professionals (to find out more call 866-296-3247)
- Nurses in Partnership
- Freedom Healthcare Staffing
- Pro-Med Staffing
- Valley Healthcare Systems
- The Access Nurses (to find out more call 866-687-7390)
- Millennia Medical (to find out more call 888-686-6877)
- Core Medical Group (to find out more call 800-995-2673)
- American Mobile Healthcare (to find out more call 800-282-0300)
How To Be a Travel Nurse
Here are some of the factors involved in being a happy and successful travel LPN. Consider them carefully before continuing with the application process at the school of your choice.
- The first thing that you will have to do is to become an LPN, you will have to get your license by attending an accredited LPN school in your state and passing the licensure examination for your state. Once you have done this you will be given an LPN license.
- The next thing that you will have to do is gain experience. Different LPN travel jobs agencies have different specifications regarding how much experience they want you to have before you can work as an LPN. But as things stand there is no point in applying at an LPN travel agency unless you have at least one year of experience in a hospital or some other kind of nursing facility. Many agencies will require you to have even more experience than that, so it may be worth your while to work for a bit before becoming a travel LPN.
- Before you get to the point where you start deciding on an agency to choose, you first need to decide where you want to travel. This will affect your choice of agencies later on. You have a few options open to you. You could for example choose to continue working within the United States. On the other hand you may be looking for a bit more adventure. You could be considering leaving the country and working as a travel LPN somewhere else. Make sure you are aware of where you are willing to go before you continue.
- Have fun. There are a lot rewards both physical and mental that you will receive once you are working as a travel LPN. If you want to be good at your job you need to enjoy what you are doing.
- You will also need to choose an agency. There are a number of criteria mentioned above that you need to take into consideration when engaging in this part of the process. You do not want to select an agency that is not suited to your needs and you want to end up somewhere where you will be happy. Hence you should be very selective when applying for LPN travel jobs agencies. LPN travel jobs are not easy as it is and you do not want to make the process even harder for yourself by selecting an agency where you will be unhappy. Do your research well and thoroughly.
- You need to be sure that this is the career for you. Think about it long and hard beforehand. You need to analyze your personality and see if you have what it takes to be a nurse in general and a travel nurse in particular. However if you become a travel LPN and then decide that it is not what you want after all, then you will be able to return to a career as a normal LPN quite easily if that is what you what to do.
Job requirements of an LPN
Travel nurses fulfil all of the same basic LPN duties of other nurses. Their duties are as follows:
- Feeding patients who are unable to feed themselves.
- Monitoring patient’s weight, blood pressure, temperature and pulse.
- Educating patients on post-treatment and home care needs
- Supervising certified nurse assistants.
- Collecting samples for testing.
- Recording food and fluid intake.
- Recording patient’s vital signs.
- Completing insurance forms.
- Monitoring / Reading medical equipment.
- Making appointments.
- Keeping records.
- Maintaining a patient’s personal hygiene.
- Assisting in delivering babies.
- Assuring that patients are as comfortable as possible.
- Dressing wounds.
Advantages of Being a Travel Nurse
Here are some of the basic advantages of becoming a travel nurse:
- You can experience in various venues you’d normally not see
- Your pay is typically higher than a non-traveling LPN salary
- You get more freedom choosing where you want to work
- You get to meet a broader range of new people
Disadvantages of Being a Travel Nurse
Like with all jobs there are also disadvantages to travel LPN jobs. Here are some of the problems you may encounter: